Uniglo Financial can provide a comprehensive range of payroll services in Malta. Dependent on the duration of the contract we would recommend one of two solutions namely: Self employed or an employee of our company.

Nationals of the EU/EEA Member States and Switzerland are able to work without restriction in Malta, except for citizens of the two most recent members Bulgaria and Romania.
Bulgarian and Romanian citizens carrying out paid employment still require a work permit during the third transitional period (1 May 2009 – 30 April 2011).

Tax residency

An individual who is a Maltese Resident pays tax on his income as a wage earner or as a self-employed person. A person who meets the criteria of a “permanent resident” (usually, a stay of more than 183 days a year) will be taxed on his income in Malta and overseas. A foreign resident who is employed in Malta pays tax only on the income he earns in Malta.

Income Tax bands

  • €0 – €8,500             0%
  • €8,501 – €14,500    15%
  • €14,501 – €19,500   25%
  • €19,501 & over         35%

Social Security

  • 10.00% for employers of the weekly basic wages,
  • 10.00% for employees of the weekly basic wages.

The social security contributions are subject to minimum and maximum amounts. The total maximum contribution in 2013 is EUR 40.32 per week.

How Much Will I Take Home?

Please contact our Malta specialist who will discuss your personal circumstances with you and help you to minimise your tax and social security liabilities, within the bounds of Maltese legislation.